Thursday, September 24, 2015

Firework, with audio!

Fireworks simulation as a combination of a moving particle emitter and a radial particle emitter with color changing particles. Audio effects are keyed to play when the firework starts and when it changes from the moving smoke emitter to stationary radial emitter. Turn up volume, sound capture was very quiet.

Fire Simulation

Fire simulation very similar to fountain simulation only with altered gravity and initial velocity, and changes color as the particle ages. Particles also fade out as they age.

Particle Waterfall

Water fountain in 3D, with a user controlled camera. Move left/right/forward/back with a/d/w/s respectively. Click and drag the mouse move the viewing center. Uses a textured and colored sprite image at each point.

Bouncing Ball

Ball bouncing in 3D in openGL, constrained in the x, y, z directions at a maximum ceiling and floor. If the ball would have passed that direction maximum, it's position and velocity are set to simulate bouncing. Eulerian integration is used to solve for the position and velocity. On each bounce, the ball's rotation is set based on the velocity not in the impact direction.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Making of: Kuria and Orokitty statues

So! first we start with reference material:
Next, the 3D model has to get made, and I've always wanted to try one of the more professional programs, so I downloaded a free trial of 'Autodesk Fusion 360' and got to work:
Man, this isn't a very flattering angle for  you, kuria...
Orokitty certainly pulls off the 3/4 look much better!


Have to say, those curves were a pain to get looking right, but it was worth it!
Here we see the 3D print, fresh from the Makerbot at my Library! 
As you can see, the kuria's body comes in 2 peices, and the orokitty's head is a completely separate part! This is because I plan on filling their hollow bottoms with sand as a ballast, otherwise they're way too top heavy:


After quite a bit of sanding and cleaning and removing support material, I did a quick dry-fit to make sure everything fits:
The brown stuff is some clay that was lying around that I used to fill in some low spots, Makerbot prints aren't always the best. The ear bits aren't in this one because the pegs I planned on using to attach them to the main body were too thick to fit, yet too thin the reliably sand down, eventually I decided to just snap off the pegs and superglue the ear filly bits directly in there.

Testing wobblyness with the newly weighted bottom:

That done, I spent a couple days getting all the kuria, which led to this discovery:
Who knew the back was so detailed? 

Time to get stuff painted! The first two layers is a light grey spraypainted on. Then using a compass, I sketched out the lines for the dark grey lines, and then those got hand-painted on.
The gold stripes were done by simply spraying a little of some gold spraypaint into a dixie cup and using a brush while still wet.

Note: this completely ruined the brush. Use with caution.
A second coat of the darker grey paint was applied to straighten out the lines, and the extraneous bits were spraypainted gold:
And here's the dry fit:
The orokitty got a similar treatment:
The only difference was the halo bits had to be superglued in ahead of time so the joins would blend in better.

And here's the finished product, hangin out on my desk: